The shortlist for the Nebula Awards 2012 has been announced. The Nebulas are one of the oldest and best-respected awards in the Science Fiction world, and the roll-call of past winners is that of the greatest in the genre.
My old friend Joan Druett lists the contenders on her blog World of the the Written Word and very helpfully linked to those that can be read on-line. The short stories I had a look at last night seem very good (as you'd expect).
The other shortlist is a bit of fun. It's the Bookseller/Diagram Prize for Oddest Title of the Year.
That shortlist is
- Was Hitler Ill? by Henrik Eberle and Hans-Joachim Neumann
- Lofts of North America: Pigeon Lofts by Jerry Gagne
- How to Sharpen Pencils by David Rees
- God’s Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis by Tom Hickman
- Goblinproofing One’s Chicken Coop by Reginald Bakeley
- How Tea Cosies Changed the World by Loani Prior