In this blog entry I'm going to shamelessly plug The Games Table in Norwich and take a look at it's new venue in the centre of the city. Some of the photos and the video are nicked from their Facebook page. I have no connection with the shop other than being a very happy customer and Kickstarter backer.
Those of you who have have been reading this blog over several years (and surprisingly there are some!) will know that I've developed from someone who thought about gaming into someone who actually gets quite a few games in. There are two factors in this. Most recently, due to the COVID pandemic there has been a lot more on-line RPG sessions (and my monthly games summaries show I've been playing a lot!). But before that came The Games Table. It was The Games Table that got me back sitting down at a table and playing.
The Games Table opened in (July? August?) 2018 in Anglia Square, Norwich. From the start it aimed to build a welcoming venue (dare I say, a 'safe environment') where people would come and play table-top games (or even buy a few). Because of the hard work of Keiran, the proprietor, it took off really well and quite a solid community of gamers has built up.
|The old shop|
A New Location
- Create an amazing space for tabletop gamers.
- Expand our board games library, sorting it into categories that make sense.
- Offer mouth-watering hot food from some of the best local restaurants.
- Serve the tastiest hot drinks provided by businesses run by military veterans.
- Host other independents, allowing them to showcase (and sell) their products.
- Maintain our unblemished reputation for providing a welcoming space.
- Keep our focus on community-building activities.
- Create expertly painted scenery setups for a variety of miniature games.
- Events, events, events and more events! Constant events.
As of this afternoon (2 Oct 2020), there are 297 board games in the library. Currently, of course, after play they are removed from the shelves, cleaned and quarantined.
|This was set up for Painting Night|
|There are a lot of Warhammer players |
- and a lot of scenery for them to use.