Friday 2 November 2012

Books and Stuff

A weekly update of my book news.

What I've been reading...

Iain McCalman, Darwin's Armada.  The Beagle voyage is very familiar of course, but the book is very well-written, and I'm looking forward to Hooker, Huxley and Wallace.

I also turned to a couple of recent purchases.

First, John Scalzi, Old Man's War - not as profound as some on-line reviews might suggest, but still an enjoyable read.  He wears his debt to Robert Heinlein on his sleeve.  I'll look out for him in the future.

Second, A.E. van Vogt, The Voyage of the Space Beagle, which is turning out to be quite good, if of it's time.  I can't understand why I'd never read any of his books when I was going through my major sci-fi phase.

 

 What I've bought...

Jim Butcher, Grave Peril: (The Dresden Files Book Three) - £4.24.


 And I do get rid of books sometimes....

I'm not like someone I know, who seems to be trying to teach his children 'One In, One Out', but I do occasionally have a clear-out.

You never get any money from second-hand dealers, and the local charity shops only end up selling decent books for pennies, so we've had to find somewhere else.  This afternoon we sent four boxes of books to anybook.biz, who sell second-hand books on-line and send the proceeds to support the public library of your choice.  They're very easy to deal with and arrange all the pick-ups, etc.  Check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment