Friday 19 June 2020

100 Days

No, not that 100 Days...

It's been 100 days since my last drink.

Cynics (and I know who I'm looking at) will read that and point out that it's coincided with the pubs being closed.  Well, so what?  And anyway, if Lockdown's taught us anything it's that you don't need pubs to get a drink.  My social media feeds have been crowded with ads offering to deliver hard liquor to my doorstep (I've been more tempted by potential deliveries of fine cheeses and coffee).  But yes, the pubs being shut has helped.

So how do you celebrate 100 days without a drink?  I don't know.  Perhaps I'll post tomorrow and tell you what happened.

If you Google 100 days sober you get two things.  First, a lot of motivational bullshit.  I'm afraid anything motivational leaves me cold: it just always has (so don't feel oblidged to add a motivational comment to this post!).  I have my own reasons for not drinking at the moment, and they don't coincide with a lot of what I read.  Second, you are told how much better your health is.  I don't know about that.  I've not been weighing myself or taking my blood pressure, so I'm willing to concede that there might have been some changes there.  I'm told I should be sleeping better.  I'm not: my sleep patterns are terrible at the moment.  I'm not any less depressed that I was a couple of months ago (but at least I'm not drepressed and drunk, which has been a very dangerous combination for me).

What for the future?  I'll try to carry on with this.  What will happen when I walk past a pub at 5pm on a sunny summer's day and everyone's sitting out drinking?  I don't know.  I'm probably going to walk home a different way for a while.

1 comment:

  1. I've done similar over the last 3 years. not stopped bu my drinking has dropped from pretty drunk 3 times per week to less than once per month. I lost loads of weight, put much of it back on in lockdown. The key thing is I can't drink more than 4 pints now without being totally hammered, less than 1/2 my standard. much richer now

    ReplyDelete