Monday, 10 June 2013

Books and Stuff

Iain Banks, 1954-2013
It's sad to have to start this week's round-up of my book news with yesterday's announcement of the death of Iain Banks.

I don't feel comfortable saying that I enjoyed Banks' books (after all nobody wants to sound as if they're a twisted pervert), but I read all the Iain M Banks books and a few of the 'straight' novels.    It would be difficult to pick a favorite - Use of Weapons, The Player of Games, Inversions and Look to Windward stand out for me.

He was a master of imagination, with the power to write scenes that stick with you years afterwards (the cannibal-cult in Consider Phelbas or practically anything from Surface Detail were particularly memorable in a disturbing way.  I think the Daily Telegraph's description sums it up sums it up -
Novelist of hallucinatory brilliance who attracted notoriety with  his grotesque and bizarre tales

And by all accounts he was a very nice guy.  I recommend you read the excellent obit here.

What I've been reading this week...

From the sublime to the ridiculous...  Sometimes you need a bit of guff with cardboard-thin characterization.  I started reading Jack Chambers, Lost Fleet: Dauntless.


What I've bought this week...

Annie Tyler, The Amateur Marriage - 50p

James Risk, Henry Pownall, David Stanley & John Tamplin, Royal Service: Vol II - £6.50
David Stanley, Royal Service: Vol III - £4.50
John Van Der Kiste, The Georgian Princesses - £1.00

3 comments:

  1. I remember, vividly, reading Banks at Art college, they were practically deemed essential reading at the time; many of the stories still haunt me now. I am ashamed to say that I've not tries any of the science fiction; something that needs to be addressed I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I must read some of the 'straight' ones.

      I liked Iain Rankin saying that Banks used to call his sci-fi the 'skiffy' books...

      Delete
  2. Words of wisdom from Neil Gaiman:-

    "If you've never read any of his books, read one of his books. Then read another. Even the bad ones were good, and the good ones were astonishing."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...