Saturday 18 May 2013

Books and Stuff

A regular round-up of my book news.

What I've been reading this week...

I finished Parting Shots.  An interesting book, giving the candid views of diplomats on leaving their posts. As such it demonstrates the attitudes of the writers' times, from colonial arrogance to post-imperial angst, and the shifting focus of British foreign policy.  I think more than a few potential readers might be misled by Matthew Paris' reputation and the illustration on the cover - thinking that this will be a collection of comic extracts. It's not, so be aware! It's not heavy reading, but it's far from light!

So I started  Russell Chamberlin Loot: The heritage of plunder.


What I've bought this week...

Christine Kelly, Mrs Duberly's War: Journal and letters from the Crimea - £1.99
Stephen Taylor, Storm and Conquest: The battle for the Indian Ocean, 1809 - £1.99

Henry Cecil, Brothers in Law - £1.45

No comments:

Post a Comment